Reply to post: Re: Start menu

Windows Fall Creators Update is here: What do you want first – bad news or good news?

Updraft102

Re: Start menu

"And the flat is a design choice that's becoming standard across all UI design. From iPads to the Reg everything is losing the faux 3d look."

Well, they can just go and be stupid without me. The Reg is just a web site, so their decision to be trendy rather than sensible can be tolerated, and if I really wanted to, I could use Stylish to restyle it to my liking. I spend a lot more time in my browser than I do at The Reg (since I use my browser all the time I am here as well as at many other sites), and a lot more time in turn in my OS than in my browser, and for those, I am not going to tolerate stupidity because some dingbat declared flat design to be the fashion trend of the moment.

The Reg reported a few months ago (or so) that users are 20-something percent slower using flat interfaces than skeuomorphic ones, according to one study. It makes perfect sense-- we're creatures that have, as a species, been dealing with 3d objects since the beginning of the species. Fashion changes, but the way our minds work does not... we are what we are, and that's beings with binocular vision who have evolved to perceive things visually in three dimensions. Fashion can go take a hike!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon