Reply to post: Re: How seizure laws ever stood --

NYC cops say they can't reveal figures on cash seized from people – the database is too shoddy

Tikimon
Facepalm

Re: How seizure laws ever stood --

It's called Presumption of Guilt. If you are doing any of this list of things, you are clearly a criminal and guilty of [fill in specific crime]. Cops are terrible at solving crimes or catching criminals. Fact! So presumed guilt lets them arrest and imprison thousands and steal billions in assets without having to do any work or provide the least evidence. You Brits have these, such as anyone with a knife is clearly a dangerous murderer and must be sent to jail.

Here's an example close to home. "Possession of tools", where anyone but a licensed locksmith with a lock pick is presumed guilty of burglary. "No-brainer" law indeed. Most of these have been struck down, and lock picking is a growing hobby. I have opened dozens of locks for various legal reasons, it's a handy skill. For example, last month I picked the lock on our electrical room during a generator emergency because the key was missing.

Cops are stupid, greedy, and essentially without a collective conscience. I keep my wary distance from them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon