Reply to post: Re: There's no incentive for IPv6 in the west

Europol cops lean on phone networks, ISPs to dump CGNAT walls that 'hide' cyber-crooks

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: There's no incentive for IPv6 in the west

Amazon came along too late, they missed the halcyon days when a /8 would have been theirs for the asking. Figures that Microsoft would ignore the internet for long enough they'd need to buy a /8 instead of grabbing one for free back in the 80s like companies with more foresight such as Apple and HP!

The fact that they're able to get addresses they need from those who don't need/use what they have shows that IPv4 has sufficient capacity in the west. So they cost $10/IP, big deal. It isn't as though Microsoft and Amazon have trouble affording that. If the price gets high enough ($100/IP? $1000/IP? I don't know what "high enough" is exactly) then they'll start pushing IPv6. How to push IPv6? AWS and other hosting services could offer cheaper hosting for servers accessible via IPv6 only, for example. If stuff I want is only accessible via IPv6 then that would incentivize me and other end users to want to use IPv6, and ISPs to provide "full" IPv6 connectivity instead of 6to4 and the like.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon