Reply to post: Re: The ICO is hopeless

Concerns raised about privacy, GDPR as Lords peer over Data Protection Bill

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: The ICO is hopeless

I had some questions for the ICO as I was updating our data protection & privacy training and I had to confirm a few (not difficult) legal points about data that falls outside the scope of the DPA. Our training makes sure that our customers' data is held in compliance with both the DPA and also to a further extent of full regard to general customer privacy (which isn't covered by the DPA).

I got a callback from an ICO officer and spent 30 minutes talking to him with me having to explain the reason and coverage of the DPA to him. He was extremely condescending with nearly every answer being " well if it was your data what would you want to happen?" - I was asking for specific legislation not a moral question. He had no clue about PCI and the requirements of it (not expecting him to be an expert but I would think he would've heard about it)

At the end of the call after I had gone through endless hair pulling moments I just said "so there is no law against it then" (which had been my assumption) and he said "No, I don't think so". Great, goodbye.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon