Reply to post: Facebook will get your address book one way or another

Leaky-by-design location services show outsourced security won't ever work

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Facebook will get your address book one way or another

I use Facebook but it has never slurped my address book, thanks to iOS having permissions to prevent it. I know Google finally added the same a couple years ago - after the horse had left the barn since if you ran Facebook on your Android before that its too late for whoever was in it back then!

Not that their inability to get MY address book really mattered, as every few months I get a banner asking "is <my mobile number> your mobile number?" claiming they want me to add it to help reset my password or whatever. It also regularly shows this one guy I worked with in a gig five years ago as "people you may know" even though we have zero friends in common and live a thousand miles away from each other. How does Facebook know my mobile number and that I know this guy? Because it has slurped many OTHER people's address books, which included my phone number! At least they're nice about it and don't just add my phone number against my will, even though they've probably seen it in a few dozen address books so they can be pretty damn sure its me!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon