Reply to post: Re: Good advice MS

Microsoft silently fixes security holes in Windows 10 – dumps Win 7, 8 out in the cold

patrickstar

Re: Good advice MS

Seriously? You are blaming MS for the deficiencies of the MBR standard and BIOS CHS addressing?

For your information, they had nothing to do with either. Blame IBM instead and the emergence of PC/Intel (with backwards compatibility going all the way back to the 80s) as the standard.

Apple has always used GPT/EPT for their x86 Macs, since they started pretty late in the game. So they have never had this issue regardless of OS.

The whole ">2TB boot disk and MBR/BIOS" is a _fairly_ well known issue. In fact, sufficiently well known that it was one of the major reasons for the migration to GPT/EFI. Various workarounds are possible (for both Linux and Windows), but the sanest one is often to boot from a smaller disk.

And I take it you haven't had any driver issues on Linux, ever? Do you want some battle stories from 20 years of Linux admining or will you assume I just made them up since there are no issues with Linux ever in your world?

MS products aren't perfect (I prefer Solaris for many use-cases personally, but it's not perfect either). But it's certainly not inherently inferior to anything else. And in a not-insignificant number of cases it's the least sucky option.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon