Reply to post: Re: >80% connecting at 25Mbps or slower

Joint Committee on the NBN splits, as National Party member sides with opposition

mathew42
FAIL

Re: >80% connecting at 25Mbps or slower

> Lol your selfiness in not caring that most Australians are now denied any benefits and any further speed increases.

Your position is that a priviliged few (<14%) should enjoy speeds on a goverment network that through pricing structures are denied to others. Further that less than 1% in 2026 should enjoy 1Gbps. I cannot see how a network where <14% achieve the minimum speed to meet the aims of the government program fair. A network where <1% in 2026 will have world class speeds is even less fair.

My simple position is that if FTTN adequately meets the demands of >80% then that is all the government is required to provide. Those who require more have two choices move to an FTTP location or technology change. Based on speed tier percentages and trends for the last four years the impact is about 4% of the population.

Alternatively they could campaign for an abolition of speed tiers, but that would have required criticising Labor's FTTP plan back in 2009-2010 which didn't occur, because fibre fanbois were worried if the plan was critqued, holes would emerge and it would disappear in a puff of smoke. Instead you are now reaping the rewards of your selfishness.

> What would you call $150k choice for the same speeds?

Move evidence of your irrational fibre fanboi logic by picking an extreme unreferenced number. Most suggest FTTN to FTTP will cost between $5,000 to $15,000. Less than a kitchen renovation and less than stamp duty. Likely to be less than 12 months on 1Gbps FTTP plan.

> Has fttp % changed in the last 4 years? But please try the spin again.

The percentage on 100Mbps on FTTP has barely changed in the last 4 years. You should know this, but have this belief system that demand is sitting there waiting to explode.

> What was ADSL traction 5 or 10 years after it came out?

The only significant move in speed in ADSL was triggered by Internode installing DSLAMs into exchanges and offering uncapped speeds. TPG with FTTB are somewhat similar offering either 12Mbps or 100Mbps for $10 extra.

Sadly, you cannot distinguish between your personal desire and the reality of the general population. Unfortunately unlimited data plans have contributed to the lack of demand for faster speeds because faster plans mean more data can be downloaded adding to the cost, whereas faster plans on the same quota have little impact on the network.

> So when 65% can get 50Mbps or faster. But then they as i have pointed out to you before are most likely using fttb figure in the average.

Again yet more unsubstansiated fibre fanboi wishful thinking. FTTB is an entirely separte product to FTTN, and listed as such in the reports that I've previously pointed you towards. Of course I appreciate that as a fibre fanboi you find reality challenging to your world view.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021