Reply to post:

Google finds 200m more people to advertise to in a single day

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

And when are they going to do actual proper English as spoken / written in England

Don't get me wrong here, I'm British, and I really enjoy a good bit of jingoism. But English spoken by whom? In many parts of England there's strong regional accents, and in Inner London's densely populated squalor, over 40% of the population were born abroad, so English isn't even their mother tongue. On an everyday basis few people in England speak the Queen's English, which is essentially an invention between the late 1700s and 1950, that people somehow think is a linguistic form set in stone. Before that, so few people could write or afford books that English (like other languages, although perhaps more readily) continually evolved according to the needs of its time.

It is tempting to dismiss the colonials' abuse of the language, but we really ought to be pleased and proud that it is so widely spoken, so open to change and adoption of new words and new variants of grammar. And if you do want to adopt a historical form of the language, there's plenty of research that indicates that US English is far closer to the common form of the language spoken in the UK in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Now, if your point is just that you don't like the synthesised voices of "talky" tech products, or their accuracy with anything other than mainstream US pronunciation, you'd have a fair point that Yorkshiremen, Scousers, Geordies and others might sympathise with.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon