Reply to post: Re: Once Upon a Time

White House plan to nuke social security numbers is backed by Equifax's ex-top boss

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Once Upon a Time

Unfortunately, as I have just proved, it is possible in the UK to obtain a certified copy of a birth certificate with nothing more than the date and place of birth of the individual, and with no requirement to prove eligibility at all.

Following a house fire, I have just had to request new birth certificates for myself, wife and daughter, using the very convenient government website. At no point did I have to prove who I was. The new certificates were happily sent through the post to an address totally unconnected to me or any member of my family without any quibble.

And of course, once in possession of said birth certificates, I can now get a passport, driving licence, etc, using the birth certificates as proof of identity.

Now I have perfectly legitimate cause to have to do this, but it is obvious to me that this same process could be used to gain false documents, bank accounts etc with very little trouble.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020