Reply to post: Well....

BYOD might be a hipster honeypot but it's rarely worth the extra hassle

Joe Gurman

Well....

I work for a large-ish US government agency whose name I'm not meant to use on social media (though considering the average El Reg commentard such as myself, perhaps "antisocial" is more appropriate). Our agency CIO recently circulated a draft policy to disallow use of corporate Exchange server e-maill on non-Agency-owned or at least Agency-blessed devices (that is, ones that have been vetted and included in the part of our lengthy security plans that designate every outside IP with which we have "data flows"). I see it as a considerate corporate policy to discourage employees from wasting their non-work hours with reading agency bumf (which describes accurately upward of 90% of all e-mail on the corporate server), but some may view it differently.

And yes, many people here with Vibrating, Light-up Internet Fondletoys issued by the lowest bidder outsourcing outfit have been carrying those around along with their real phones for a few years. I don't see the point of BYOD for laptops or desktops, but people tend to have a personal relationship with their phones/phablets/fondlelslabs. (Or why else are there such flamewars here about this or that obscure feature of this or that aged device?) There are MDM solutions out there that firewall corporate data from personal, so that only the former can be wiped, but corporate prefers Microsoft's version that's baked into Exchange Server, which for some inexplicable reason simply wipes everything each time some eager toddler exceeds the allowed number of password attempts. Seems silly to me, but I'm only an employee.... and taxpayer.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon