Reply to post: On the right track but.....

EU tells Facebook and Twitter: Obey us or we'll start regulating

Khaptain Silver badge

On the right track but.....

The tech giants are making Billions of Euros and yet seem to be capable of bending laws as required... I agree that sometime things go too far, freedom of speech should not be the equivalent to freedom to say anything at anytime.. But where should the line be drawn..

I am probably as much, if not more against a multitude of what is happening in this "global" world but I usually know when to shut my mouth.. In the past I have paid dearly, and I have the physical scars to show what opening one's mouth to large can result in... In other words I am probably like many of you out there..

The difference lies in the fact that I am not profiting from the system as many of the tech giants are.. I don't throw my weight about as though I don't care and I certainly dont have the means to pay the lawyers who somehow manage to wangle the courts as required.

But, I digress, the internet has become a free for all, whereby is it Ok to be a keyboard warrior, where it is Ok to destroy the lives of others without sanction.. and this is where the Tech Giants definitely have a role to play.. Their billions should not be made from the sufferance of others, they have the means to avoid many situations and yet they react only when financial impact of laid upon them...

I am not for Stalinist totalitarianism or dictatorial procedures but at the same time I don't agree with the free for all approach that means profit for the giants at any means..

The giants do have a responsibility to take a positive attitude towards governance, without stifling the masses but at the same time retaining a modicum of level headedness.

Can the EU push their agenda forward correctly, maybe, maybe not, but I definitely recommend that something is done to avoid a total catastrophy and the eventual governance by some "governmental agency numpties".

The solutions are not obvious but that should stop us from trying...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon