Reply to post: Re: Thriller

My name is Bill Gates and I am an Android user

bombastic bob Silver badge

Re: Thriller

"I’d argue that Nadella has overseen:"

I think I'll reply point-by-point

The best version of MS Office in recent history

Compared to earlier MS Office versions, I can see why you might say that. Then again, Libre and Open office suites do pretty well, for what I need. No need to 'go subscription' or 'go cloud' just to write a document or make a spreadsheet, ya know? And you don't have to pay for Libre/Open Office. And they run on Linux and FreeBSD.

The opening of Microsoft to Linux technologies

Yeah, some of this is ok, but I always thought Cygwin did pretty well without MS's help. Earlier MS attempts like Interix/SFU/SUA were way too limited. I actually gave them a good try.

The open sourcing of .NET, fulfilling the promise of C#

*YAWN* - C-pound is _STILL_ at the 5%-6% range on the TIOBE index, last I looked. I think Python might be close to beating it. ".Not" has been CRAP since it was excreted from the bowels of Micro-shaft.

(double-checked, C-pound is around 4.8% now, down by ~0.7%, with Python at just under 3%)

The cross-platformisation of Visual Studio

still looks all 2D FLATSO and the interface's VB-ness [since the 2000's] *STILL* irritates me. VS '98 let you edit dialog boxes without lifting a hand off of the keyboard. That's IMPOSSIBLE since the 2000's. The only feature it has that's worth a damn is "virtual space". Those who know what that is probably agree with me about it being the BEST feature, at least. It's how _ALL_ GUI editors should behave.

Some damn good software on Android and iOS

I haven't seen it... and from what I've seen, there's a lot of CRapps out there for phones in the "stores" these days

Some really fantastic computers - both desktop and tablet.

at fantastically overblown prices. At that price, I should get a Mac.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon