Reply to post: Re: Really?

Want to keep in contact with friends and family without having to sell your personal data?

AndrueC Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: Really?

Damn' right. My Dad (mid 80s) used to run a community centre having helped build it (his idea of 'retirement' :) ). He's still very active in it and is forever sending emails. His circle of 'oldies' know how to text. Most of them have a smart phone (though not usually the latest model and in my Dad and his partner's case 'smart' is stretching things a bit).

I even remember that he watched iPlayer before I did. In fact I think it was him pointed out to me that a show was available online when I hadn't even thought about that at the time. Sadly he they went on to annoy me by asking how he could connect his laptop to the TV which turned out to be a pain in the arse.

'The elderly' don't spend hour after hour online but then that's just not how their lives work - and they aer probably all the better for it. They prefer to be out and about chatting face to face and enjoying the fresh air. The only real difference I see is that those over 70 seem to see the internet as an occasionally useful tool. Those under 40 see it as an essential part of life. At 50 I feel half way between the two. I don't live my life online but equally it's more than just a tool to use when I have to.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon