Reply to post: I had a boss that kept forgetting his password.

Sysadmin tells user CSI-style password guessing never w– wait WTF?! It's 'PASSWORD1'!

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I had a boss that kept forgetting his password.

We'd reset it, he would put in a new one, correctly confirm it, then forget the damned thing the very next attempt. He wanted to use a password manager he found on the internet but corporate policy made that impossible. He kept getting frustrated at forgetting & we kept getting frustrated at having to reset. Then one day the failed attempts & reset requests stopped, he got happy, & we got concerned. Remote into his machine to figure out WTF was going on. We found a "Passwords.Txt" file on his desktop. He had resorted to copy & pasting in the new password into the file, so he could C&P it back when needed. On the one hand we were happy not to have him asking for a reset request every (and I do mean *EVERY* day) but on the other hand it was a serious NoNo. Thankfully someone more senior than I got to explain matters to him, but then it fell on my lowly peon's shoulders to figure out a way to fix it. I ended up asking him if he could remember something from his past that wasn't common knowledge. He thought for a moment, nodded, & changed his password to that memory. It seemed to work for he only required a reminder rather than a reset to get him logged in once again. I later found out that the memory he had used to trigger said password was the name of his first girlfriend. He remembered her rather fondly for very Friday reasons. All his reminder phrase needed to be was "Go visit your girlfriend." Grin, tappity, & Bob's yer uncle.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon