Reply to post: Re: Ha

Brit ministers jet off on a trade mission to tout our digital exports...

codejunky Silver badge

Re: Ha

@ Dan 55

"Ah, a fine bit of whataboutery."

I assume that means you also dont know. Since we are talking trade and it was highly valid to the point I wonder 'whataboutery' answering the freaking question instead of brushing it off because you dont like it?

"The EU gave up negotiating TTIP because it was politically unsustainable."

Wow thats a new narrative. Wasnt it really that Obama wanted a successful deal, the EU was gagging for it as it isnt a bad thing to want, Obama sticks his nose where it dont belong and Trump takes the offer away from the EU and hands the offer to the UK.

As I joked before the referendum, if you are against TIPP you are both in favour of remain and leave. Remain because no way will all the members agree to it, leave because the EU wants it really badly and will do anything to get it.

"A FTA with the US means privatising everything US business wants access to and lowering standards."

Bull, balls and FUD. Didnt somebody mention lowering our electrical standards because of the EU? I may try and find who wrote the comment it sounded pretty clued up.

"As for Japan, I believe the FTA was signed in July. Is there any remaining work to be carried out?"

The Japan deal was announced a success. However it wasnt at the time (no idea if it is even now) because the EU and Japan couldnt agree on conflict resolution which basically was a deal breaker. To bypass this issue the EU was considering leaving that part out of the proposals for the vote and then resolving it without the members permission.

"The UK will be negotiating from a position of weakness"

Well thats a mistake.

"The key thing the UK has to offer apart from lowering regulations is loosening visa requirements"

What are you talking about? We dont need a fancy agreement to trade with others outside the EU. And at WTO tariffs things outside the EU will already be cheaper. That is before deals.

"With certain subjects like Brexit I find it's useful to manage expectations. Hasn't failed me so far."

Then why dont you see anything positive? Unless by manage you mean negative. You say it hasnt failed you so far yet you keep railing against something which has so far been pretty positive.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon