Reply to post:

The developers vs enterprise architects showdown: You shall know us by our trail of diagrams

Cederic Silver badge

Speaking as someone with 10 years of EA, including merging two airlines, this article is an interesting blend of truth and nonsense.

My job has almost no relation to that of developers. I trust them to know how to do software engineering and don't really care whether they're hosting in the cloud or on premise. I care about where the company is going, what's stopping us getting there and how we can exploit technology to either get there quicker or maybe also get somewhere better.

How a single system is put together is for application architects and solution architects. How data flows across the organisation is for data architects. How the whole business works, engages its customers and creates value for its staff and shareholders is where I'm focussed.

I can work magic without touching technology; never underestimate the processing power of a building full of Indian graduates. I can guide corporate strategy down a technology direction that cuts costs. I can help the budget holders avoid wasting a few hundred million in a dead-end project.

Developers don't really come into it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon