Reply to post: I wonder who the real oppressor is here...

Homeland Security drops the hammer on Kaspersky Lab with preemptive ban

Anonymous Coward
Pint

I wonder who the real oppressor is here...

First of all this brings me back to the news surrounding the 50's and 60's. You see; although the US claims to be the "land of the free" it really should be mentioned that this is "the land of the free to do as we tell you". Back in those days, the days of the cold war, the US disliked everything even closely related to communism. But worse: plenty of innocent people (from civilians to more well known people) saw their careers and reputation getting ruined because... .. the government suspected that they might be sympathetic towards communism. In other words: thought crimes. They didn't condemn people for the way they acted and/or behaved, nope, but for what they might have believed. Of course this backfired eventually and many "high class" politicians were forced to step down, but the damage had been done nonetheless.

The witch hunts all over again.

Isn't this a bit of the same? See, there's another thing I have a problem with:

"The Department is concerned about the ties between certain Kaspersky officials and Russian intelligence and other government agencies, and requirements under Russian law that allow Russian intelligence agencies to request or compel assistance from Kaspersky and to intercept communications transiting Russian networks"

Doesn't the same apply to US laws? I mean... just look at the NSA and Apple encounter, Apple was pretty much forced to comply to their wishes and only after Apple went public with the whole thing and still stood their ground things went sour for the US (after which even the president started mentioning stuff like "unpatriotic acts").

Can we now conclude that it is official then? So it's down to "Do as we say, not as we do"?

There's a word for that... when you uphold double standards and double morales....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon