Reply to post:

Apple: Our stores are your 'town square' and a $1,000 iPhone is your 'future'

The Infamous Grouse

"Slight price correction: the 256GB iPhone 8 is actually the slightly-less-staggering £849, not £949, unless you meant the Plus."

Ah, you're right. Chrome PrivacyBadger was blocking some Apple CSS (I thought it was a store update in progress) and I was pulling those prices from the plain HTML. The £949 was next to the word Unlocked so I mistook that for the reason for the difference. But yes, the iPhone 8 is £849.

Still too high to even consider an upgrade, even though a large chunk of that will be the standard Apple storage tax for the extra 128GB. Maybe if I was still on a 4S or 5...? Meh.

This is where Apple's showmanship works against them, I feel. Improvements in phone technology are still happening across the industry but they're heading for a plateau and there's a law of diminishing returns at play. But Apple are still using their same pitch: "magic", "incredible" etc. When you're being told something is the most amazing thing ever, but you can see with your own eyes that it isn't, the magic is lost and replaced by cynicism. It's like going to a Disney show and none of the characters have their heads on. There's still the same effort in the performance, but you can no longer suspend your disbelief.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon