Reply to post: Re: "They're all people who, in past times, would have been doing something more useful."

Boffins fear we might be running out of ideas

Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: "They're all people who, in past times, would have been doing something more useful."

> Second, in past times, Thomas Edison is known for having electrocuted elephants in an effort to discredit Tesla and alternative current. I don't see that as being very productive either.

I'm not sure that it helps to be so reductionist about something as complicated as a human. Edison was incredibly driven to bring products to market, and that consisted of hard work, dubious morals and yes, marketing. Success was part of his motivation. I'm not sure that we can use a basic arithmetic such as Less Time Electrocuting Elephants = More Time Inventing.

Edison knew that both AC and DC can kill people. What he was doing was grappling with the fears of the wider public. Perhaps not in ways we approve of, but at least he knew that public acceptance was as essential to a product's success as more technical concerns.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon