Reply to post: Everything old is new again

The new, new Psion is getting near production. Here's what it looks like

billdehaan
Meh

Everything old is new again

Back around 1993 or so, I was given a Psion 3a, which was useful more in theory than in practice. Especially given the $600 price tag. I paid the $100 for the PC bridge, and was glad to have it, but it was definitely a work in progress.

In 1997 or whenever, the Revo series came out, and I got that. It included the PC bridge in the cradle, and was crazy useful. Also, at about $200, it was a lot cheaper. It wasn't until the Pilot (later Palm Pilot, later Palm) came out that I stopped using it, and even so, there were things in the Psion software that were better than Palm (like the spreadsheet).

Two weeks ago, it was announced there would be new Palm devices in 2018, but that they'd likely be running Android. So naturally, a new Psion has to likewise come out, and also run... Android.

Like the new Nokia phones, those aren't comebacks of the old tech companies, or the old innovations that came with them. They're pretty much just companies in a busy market buying a beloved name to slap on their products to try to buy brand loyalty out of nostalgia.

This one, at least, appears to be a bit more of an homage than a simple name grab. I'm not sure that I'd want or need one in this day and age, but bringing back the now defunct form factor at least differentiates it from other products.

Now, with the iPod Nano going defunct, all we need is some 2000-era stand alone MP3 player for joggers who aren't interested in taking a 6" phone slab with them when they exercise...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon