Reply to post: Me too.

Indian call centre scammers are targeting BT customers

Andy Non Silver badge
Thumb Down

Me too.

Earlier in the year while I still had BT broadband, I received a call one day, supposedly from a BT engineer saying there was a problem with my broadband, which was news to me as it seemed to be working just fine. He quoted my name and BT account number as verification he was legit. He had an English accent rather than an Indian one, and initially at least seemed somewhat plausible. He asked me to put my router directly into the master socket, which it already was, but he was quite insistent that I went to check it. As the master socket was in the attic and required a step ladder to access it I refused, but he was quite insistent that I checked it. Smelling a rat I hung up and did a 1471. I googled the number and it came up as a legitimate BT's customer service number!

I phoned BT directly and got passed around several people in a call centre (presumably in India based on the accents) before I got passed to someone in the UK. No, a BT engineer hadn't called me. There was not a problem with my broadband. They said that despite my 1471 check, that it wasn't their service number that had called me and they offered to block the real calling number. The fake engineer never called back (or was blocked), but I surmised his end game would probably have been to give him remote access to my computer so he could install malware or commit other fraud.

Interesting that BT allow scammers to fake their number to look like BT's service number!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon