Reply to post: Re: Smart meters and electricity storage

Smart meters: 'Dog's breakfast' that'll only save you 'a tenner' – report

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Smart meters and electricity storage

I'm just looking to be paid the same to export a kWh as I paid to import it.

Sorry, but answering that one comprehensively gets me into thousands of words about how electricity grid systems work, how settlement and billing work, how grid operators get paid, how corporate and system overheads get recovered, the technical and financial consequences of not being able to meet a contracted generation output, and the value of unsubsidised, unguaranteed "spot" power.

To put is simply, you'll never get that equal export=import unless the politicians come up with a complex subsidy lark (similar to PV feed in tariffs). That is possible, but it means you would be being paid a big fat subsidy from everybody else, unless EV battery export happened to be sufficiently reliable and sizeable to save huge amounts of money on either/both grid reinforcement, or contracted ancillary services. In some instances it will - but mainly in built up urban areas, where electricity networks are at capacity and upgrades are expensive - but equally car ownership in these locations is likely to be low.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon