Reply to post: Buggers

Thousands of hornets swarm over innocent fire service drone

Alistair
Windows

Buggers

(Literally apparently)

Those hornets sound nasty. I'm hoping *we* never get them -- we've enough trouble with the Asian Horned Beetle around here. (damned furriner bugs)

We have (northern left pond side) several varieties of hornet and wasps about. Last summer we ended up with wasps in the air gap between brick and framing of our house. Wasps being wasps I wasn't particularly concerned, although the entrance was over our back yard door, it was annoying, but not concerning -- our wasps are pretty laid back most times. I was *far* more concerned about the black hornets in the back shed, not because they're any less laid back but because the nest was at the back of a shelf in the shed where my smaller yard tools were stored, and I was quite certain one of us was going to toss a tool back on the shelf and whallop the nest. Thing is,in this case, the specific wasp variant, never reuses a nest, and the hornets were of the type that winter under ground. I'd no wasps this spring (and about 4 pounds of diatamaceous earth in the air gap as well) and the hornets nest was removed and donated to the youngest's school for educational purposes this spring.

My neighbour on the other hand spent an inordinate amount of time (we're in a semi) attempting to spray huge amounts of noxious substances into the vent gap the wasps were using as an entrance/exit, and at one point called the city to report it as a 'terrible risk' to their property and safety. I'd say the quantity of noxious poisons the damned twit was spraying on MY side of the property was the 'terrible risk' -- to MY family. Fortunately, the fellow from the city that showed up was one with both some experience in the real world and some awareness. He agreed it would be better to leave them mostly alone, and to deal with it in mid winter when they were dormant. -- so in late January I pumped the diatomatceous earth into the wall gap with the exhaust from my shop vac. -- And the damned idiot on the other side complained to the city *again* -- that I was spraying noxious chemicals into the air gap..... .fuxwits

All said, I'd still rather have the bugs about. Especially since I'm considering a full blown gardening exercise. They all contribute something to the system in some odd way.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon