Reply to post:

nbn™ adds premises to FTTC, HFC, slims down FTTN build

Myvekk

<quote>According to this article, only 6% of FTTN connections are less than <25Mbps. Interestingly 32% are > 75Mbps.</quote>

I'm sure that is correct, and agree. I'm not arguing with you because I'm not talking in general. I'm talking about the specific local area FTTN connections that have had quite a few issues with it, so would be over-represented in that 6%.

<quote>I'd suggest that congestion caused by ISPs not purchasing sufficient CVC to sell unlimited plans.</quote>

I also agree that congestion due to unsufficient capacity on the part of the RSPs is the main cause of low speed throughput, but that doesn't explain constant dropouts and low SYNCH speed, which is what the locals complained of. Both of which occurr on ADSL, ADSL2/2+ connections as well.

I have no problem with FTTN, as long as the copper is up to the task. Sadly in my area it is not even up to ADSL2/2+ and those first ones who got the FTTN connections have paid the price. The upside for the rest of us is that the nbn has realised just how poor a condition the copper is in & has upgraded us to FTTC. And brought the installation forward by a year. Bonus!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021