Reply to post: Re: Well beyond my end of life before I save the planet then

Smart meters: 'Dog's breakfast' that'll only save you 'a tenner' – report

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Well beyond my end of life before I save the planet then

I was under the impression that SMETS1 meters did count towards the target,

As with anything to do with smart meters, its needlessly complicated. SMETS1 count until a cutoff date which I think is October of this year. After that date they can be installed, but don't count unless they can be made SMETS2 compliant before 2020. That could be by OTA upgrade, on-site firmware upgrade, or hardware replacement. The fate of the earlier, non-upgradeable SMETS1 meters is unclear. In theory they can stay put, but the supplier I worked for believed that its SMETS1 meters couldn't be made SMETS2 compliant and would need replacing - particularly when a customer switched supplier, because SMETS1 meters don't work very well in that situations. It is possible that DCC will manage to make all the different SMETS1 meters work inter-operably, but that'd be a big challenge for anybody. And with Capita running DCC, what do you reckon?

especially as some manufacturers were not going to be implementing SMETS2

Manufacturers might choose not to, all suppliers have to install SMETS2 (or upgradeable) meters after the cut off date (or face fines of millions of pounds, and still have to install them). If a meter manufacturer chooses not to do SMETS2, it will exclude itself from the UK meter market.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon