Reply to post:

Boffin rediscovers 1960s attempt to write fiction with computers

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

"Although I can think of one author who I've given up reading because every book seemed to have so similar a plot it was getting to me."

Leslie Thomas's novels sometimes seemed like that. He had a set of possibly real life experiences that he wove into the plots. After a few novels he appeared to start doing location "research" to add the colour to a new novel. He also started to re-use some of the previous set pieces with slight alterations - and the pocket novels started to become large tomes.

Simon Raven also mined his life experiences for all of his novels and series. It is said that later on he produced a new novel whenever he needed to finance his continuing hedonistic lifestyle. The novels became stranger and stranger - but managed to stay entertaining. It was said that he wanted to see just how far his loyal readers could be pushed. His autobiography was criticised by a reviewer as "the filthiest cricket book ever written" - whereupon he requested the use of that comment for the back cover blurb.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon