Reply to post: Re: Profits Profits Profits

Vodafone won't pay employee expenses for cups of coffee

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Profits Profits Profits

Now I did work for a firm where they were very good at looking after the employees. Your manager, his manager (or anyone higher up on the same branch of the organogram) could sign off expenses against budget and could decide within reason what was a valid claim. However then we merged with another firm who essentially took over everything. The new policy was that we used a computerised system that few people liked. There were tight limits on what was acceptable and some things previously okay weren't now. Also your manager was the only person who could sign off expenses no one else - Computer says No!

At a meeting with the new CEO and a bunch of staff the question of expenses comes up. No one seemed to mind that some of the previous allowable expenses have been killed off. They were quite generous after all but that wasn't what really got to people. The the fact that if your manager was sick or away for a holiday you could miss the cut off for that month. This was the frankly rather early date of the 12th of each month. That meant potentially waiting a month and a half for reimbursement in the next paycheck. It was then queried whether the policy was universal or whether there were exemptions for some staff - Directors for example. The reply was that everyone used the same system which didn't answer the question. Then it was mentioned by someone in the know that Directors only needed to have another director sign off their expenses. Why wasn't this be a situation where it was abused i.e. you do me I'll do..... you scratch my back I'll scratch yours. They promised that this was going to go under review and it would end up as two directors. Not sure it ever did but I left before it did.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon