Reply to post: Re: So he knew how to fix it anyway?

Bombastic boss gave insane instructions to sensible sysadmin, with client on speakerphone

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: So he knew how to fix it anyway?

Furthermore, you must also take into account, I only have .a certain amount of time to do the job, I only had the minimum of tools to do the job, there is only so much you can do on site within allotted timeframe before you have to wave a white flag and RTB with it.

There were so many other daft things I had tried, deleting temp files (even hidden ones), clearing cookies, resetting IE, short of reinstalling windows I did *everything* I could. But the FIRST thing I had done was backed up that .pst file. As I have said, I tread cautiously.

I've worked with IT since the mid 70's and although I'm far from a sys-admin (not my particular field) I am a bloody home-pc technician and I've used Windows more or less exclusively since 3.1 (I had Amiga whilst others struggled with DOS) so I know how to fix most errors and then, reinstalling the entire OS then updating, putting all the custom software back on etc was a bloody pain. At this point, I introduced them to Norton ghost!

It's difficult to cram a couple or 3 hours work into a short, succinct story.

So forgive me if I didn't do things your way. I did it my way! ;-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon