Reply to post: Re: So, in other words..

German court reveals reason for Europe-wide patent system freeze

Roland6 Silver badge

Re: So, in other words..

@Big John - We had a general election, those who really wanted a hard Brexit and stuff the consequences/costs could have voted for UKIP - the only party offering that approach to Brexit; UKIP was practically wiped out...

As the Brexit process unfolds other factors are also coming out - which the press are picking up on, that are contributing to the viewpoint that Brexit might not be such a good idea...

Say, what about asking for a "revote" on the Brexit issue? Has anyone done that yet? And if not, why not?

Given the recent poll failings, plus not getting the result they wanted and thus the political fallout, I suspect that Trump is more likely to win a second term than the UK to have another referendum on the EU and Brexit...

But I suspect that the problem is that many are framing Brexit in terms of appeasing those who voted Leave and explicitly appeasing the more vocal "Brexit at any cost" supporters and thus ignoring the fact that 2-in-3 voters did not explicitly vote for Brexit, plus from the analysis of the original referendum result it is clear that all those who voted for Leave did not vote for the same Leave.

Thus in seeking a Brexit agreement, the Conservatives firstly have to agree among themselves - something they are finding increasingly difficult :) and secondly agree on something that can carry the Brexit label and hence enable them to declare they have delivered 'Brexit'. Given this agreement is going to upset various parts of the electorate, the question is which parts are you prepared to upset? I suggest you can reasonably safely marginalise the extremes ie. those who want Brexit at any cost...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon