Reply to post: Re: Why the OS can't enforce user selections?

AccuWeather: Our app slurped your phone's location via Wi-Fi but we like totally didn't use it

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Why the OS can't enforce user selections?

Should be a pretty simple 'if' statement at the beginning of any API that requires user permission. Maybe they missed this one, or they didn't think about the fact that router names / BSSIDs could theoretically be used to infer location.

I'm not really worried about that, since while Google's wardriving captured the location of SSIDs all over until they were caught, AFAIK they never made that information public. I'm more concerned that Accuweather is grabbing information to forward to their advertisers, which is presumably intended to try to uniquely identify them.

I dropped the Weather Channel app a couple years ago when they discontinued the ad-free 'Max' version so you had to see the ads, since Accuweather didn't have ads. A couple weeks ago they put in ads, and have a pay option to get rid of them I haven't taken advantage of yet. Maybe now I never will, and will look for a different weather app that doesn't try to slurp information in violation of Apple's rules, and either has no ads or provides a way to pay to remove them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon