Reply to post: Re: What do they all do? @SkippyBang

US Navy suffers third ship collision this year

ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: What do they all do? @SkippyBang

OK, This is mostly nonsense as in the high sea you'd do almost anything to avoid collision regardless of rules, especially if you were on a rowing boat, but let me elaborate.

Colreg 72 is specifically aimed at high-sea vessels, I think we can agree on that, it's explicitely stated.

For the purpose of ColReg, with as little interpretation as possible, a vessel is either "sail" or "power". No interpretation can possibly put "oar" in the "sail" category. As I, erm , "sea" it, the distinction is meant to be "vessels in full control of their thrust" vs "sail". In that case, mechanichal devices like oars, caterpilars or propellers are all alike, in that they are mechanical contraptions aimed at pushing the water backward in order to make the vessel go forward. The energy source is not stated in ColReg, so I would think that any vessel powered by mechanichal devices pushing the water backwards would qualify as "power", regardless of the energy source. ColReg does state "machinery". I'll let oaring enthusiasts fight over that precise word.

For the rest of the world, most rowing boats would fall in the "not under command" category, and these have automatic right of way, like it or not. (you may yell insults at them through the loudspeaker though)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon