Reply to post: Re: Blame placement

Vodafone customers moan about sluggish data abroad

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Blame placement

How were you going to pay £6,144 or anything like that when Three cap data at £42.50/month?

We've also set up a worldwide data roaming limit of £42.50 per month to stop you spending too much. We'll send you texts to let you know when you've reached 80% and 95% of this £42.50 limit.

www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_International/Managing_Roaming_Costs

I was at the end of my Three contract earlier in the year and looking at a new one especially as I would be travelling to the US shortly after. My local shopping centre had all the major operators virtually next to each other so seemed like a good place to start. The obvious choice was going to be stick with Three and use Feel at Home but I wanted to double check. I only really need the phone to work for voice as I've mostly got data through wifi when abroad.

Anyway I went into Vodafone first and the nice salesman took me through the offerings they had and then said sign up with us and it's just £5 a day to use your allowance of data, voice, SMS on your phone abroad. I said that was excessive as it added £70 to a two week trip and could they do anything about it? No sadly they can't so I rule out Vodafone.

O2 said I didn't need to pay anything extra but calls would cost me £1.10 a minute to make, 90p to receive, sending a text was 40p per message. Data would be capped at £40 a month but £6 per MB. They also had higher cost sim only plans which I found too high so together they killed off O2.

EE said that they didn't charge if I went with the Max Plan can't remember the cost but it was at a premium to other plans. It came with a ridiculous amount of data and I also needed to buy a new phone with them which I didn't need (and doubtless contributed to the cost. Didn't fancy that.

So I stuck with Three which wasn't bad all round.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon