Reply to post: Re: How many more ...

Nosey ex-NHS staffer slapped with fine for illegally peeking at medical records

Adam 52 Silver badge

Re: How many more ...

'If I'm ever brought into A&E in a "mostly dead" state; then I'd really hope that the medics aren't "applying for an exception" to get access to my records'

I wish people wouldn't drag up this old chestnut again and again. It's mostly rubbish. First rule of emergency medicine - treat the symptoms in front of you (I only did the first year of medical training, I'm sure there would have been more in later years). In a few very, very rare cases it might be helpful but they are rare.

Personally I have one of those "this patient has a condition..." cards in my wallet. On the few occasions I've been to A&E nobody cares. The last doctor even said "I'm liable, I'll do my own diagnosis".

If there is something massively wrong with you that isn't obvious then by all means carry an SoS token of some sort. If you don't want to carry something then opt-in to a database. Just don't force the rest of us into an insecure system because a tiny, tiny minority are too lazy to take responsibility for their own life.

Just because someone else might have an allergy doesn't mean my entire medical history should be available to all 2 million NHS employees. And the Police. And GCHQ. And central government. And the council benefits office.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon