Reply to post: Re: Who hasn't written "malware" code?

Marcus Hutchins free for now as infosec world rallies around suspected banking malware dev

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Who hasn't written "malware" code?

I wrote a sort of keylogger back in the DOS days just to see if it would work. Written in Pascal from code found in the help file. Before going into Windows people would have to go to the network drive, I think it was H or something so:

CD H:

If I remember right. Then type "login" and then type "win". People would forget and type "login" while on the C drive. So I stuck my logger there. It would write user names and passwords to a file that you'd pick up later. File would be called something like assignment.doc because people would forget to save to floppy sometimes and because the PCs weren't cleaned, you had lots of student work lying around on the root of C.

Trouble is, if someone found the assignment.doc file and opened it, it was then obvious what was going on and that there was a keylogger going around.

I remember picking up the assignment.doc file one day and finding a few users and passwords in it. IT HAD WORKED!!!. One of the passwords I remember was "masterofpuppets". Logged into the users account but never did anything. Was just pleased it had worked as I was never a good programmer and had thought of the idea myself after seeing the help code in Pascal. Ideas never normally came to me without help :)

A few years later my cousin asked me about it and I re-coded it for their Uni. This time I added very basic encryption I found in the 2600 magazine. So that if you found the assignment.doc it looked scrambled so hopefully you'd just ignore it. All the encryption did was lets say you type A. It would +25 to the ASCII number of A and then write the result back to the assignment.doc file. Then to decrypt, you used the decrypter that, obviously just -25 of whatever was in the assignment.doc.

Fun.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon