Reply to post: Re: Speaking of recipes...

Foot-long £1 sausage roll arrives

jake Silver badge

Re: Speaking of recipes...

I doubt a real number can be put on the actual number of pepper varietals there are world-wide. For example, I have a couple dozen hybrids that only exist here. I'll probably release a few of them once I know they are producing fairly true seeds (with grow lights, temperature control, pushing nutrients and judicious pruning I can usually get four generations per year).

I'd forgotten about Redwood City Seeds, I used to get seed from them in the late 1970s. I see they have a WWW site (ecoseeds.com). I'll drop 'em a note. Ta for the reminder!

The pepper in Tabasco is called the Tabasco pepper (surprise!). You can get seed from any decent seed purveyor, should you wish to grow them. They are a fairly nice little plant, quite pretty in the garden, good producer, non-determinate, but only about 50K SHU. They grow well in a Mediterranean climate, but prefer a trifle more heat. I like 'em scrambled into eggs with a little red onion, and always have a couple fruiting.

I'd be curious if that family heirloom had a name "back in the old country". I'm betting its a hybrid of the Hot Hungarian Wax ... but I've always got my eyes open for new varietals to try here in Sonoma.

I can make the jerk with any of my hot peppers, but the varietal I was thinking about was the Carolina Reaper in this case, probably with some Aji Amarillo thrown in because I like the flavo(u)r combination. Note that the heat level can be adjusted up or down with the application of more or less of the pepper(s) in question.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon