Reply to post:

Tech giants warp eco standards to greenwash electronics, rake in cash

Pompous Git Silver badge

"besides being a pretty stupid rant, 60 km/h average speed is a pipe dream for cars in city cores. Where a lot of heavy bicycle commuting takes place. Not only that, but even 60k peaks are above speed limits in many cases."
Nowhere did I state that the cyclists holding up traffic were in the city. This is occurring out of the city limits where the speed limit is 100 km/h.

"bicycles take up less space so will congest less than the equivalent amount of km/person carried out by cars."
Quite a lot of road space in Hobart has been allocated for cyclists' use only. This has led to greater congestion of vehicular traffic there being less space for vehicles to travel on. I have seen only one cyclist using the dedicated cycling space. Maybe they do when I'm not in the city, but taxi drivers I talk to say that cyclists prefer to travel in the same space allocated for vehicular traffic. Go figure...

The cyclists I'm most concerned about are those that struck me while walking along city footpaths. I'm old (66), I walk slowly, I don't have eyes in the back of my head. If that makes me stupid, benighted and 'tarded, so be it. The cyclists concerned were breaking the law, but for whatever reason the police ignore them. They don't have registration plates and so remain unreportable.

We have had pedestrians die here in Australia after being struck by cyclists. Invariably old people like me. I'm hoping I'm not one of them. Perhaps I need to start taking taxis instead of walking. That will cut down pollution I'm sure.

"But, hey, no problemo if you like buying a whole new laptop 'cuz you ran out of disk space on your otherwise still-good machine. Me, I'll chalk it up to another case of regulatory capture"
Where the fuck did that come from? My ASUS Zenbook has nearly 100 GB free same as last year, same as every year since I purchased it. Perhaps you've not heard of external hard drives. I have a 1 TB pocket drive that goes with me everywhere. And why would I purchase another laptop anyway? The Gitling just gave us a Le Novo X1 Carbon. I'm sure that Mrs Git's files will fit nicely on the 128 GB SSD given that she's currently only using a little over half of the 64 GB on her current machine.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon