Reply to post: Diversity for Diversity's sake?

Your top five dreadful people the Google manifesto has pulled out of the woodwork

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Diversity for Diversity's sake?

From what I understand, much is touted as being "diverse". Wonderful concept, but what does it actually mean? Are the record holders for the 100 meter dash "diverse"? Are university graduates "diverse"? People make many choices in their own lives that end up tilting the "diverse" scale in a wrong direction. We all do it to some degree. If you want equality, that is what you will get. People dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. If a class of people are determined to make things "equal" it seems to me that what you get is something like North Korea where you must chose from a list of proper haircuts that are state approved. Very equal, and diverse up to a point.

To find out the proper population, one needs to look at what is walking in the front door of a company that looks for "qualified people". Estimate the pool of "qualified people" from another population (say graduates of a school's engineering department), then you might have an understanding of the diversity of the input stream.

Lowering standards doesn't help anyone.

p.s. An example of "diversity" might be the employees of the Moonlight Bunny Ranch in Carson City Nevada. But I digress.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon