Reply to post:

Your top five dreadful people the Google manifesto has pulled out of the woodwork

Peter2 Silver badge

My article aside, if you read Damore's piece and concluded that it was well researched and persuasive then you either have very low standards or you willfully ignored large chunks of it.

As per George Miller, (evolutionary psychology professor) of the University of New Mexico:-

(http://quillette.com/2017/08/07/google-memo-four-scientists-respond/)

When the memo went viral, thousands of journalists and bloggers transformed themselves overnight from not understanding evolutionary psychology at all to claiming enough expertise to criticize the whole scientific literature on biological sex differences.

I think you've done this, honestly.

Taking a further paragraph of yours:-

It was a terrible hack job that doesn't stand up to even basic scrutiny. There is a reason why this blew up, and it's because it was bad.

The same professor says:-

For what it’s worth, I think that almost all of the Google memo’s empirical claims are scientifically accurate. Moreover, they are stated quite carefully and dispassionately. Its key claims about sex differences are especially well-supported by large volumes of research across species, cultures, and history. I know a little about sex differences research. On the topic of evolution and human sexuality, I’ve taught for 28 years, written 4 books and over 100 academic publications, given 190 talks, reviewed papers for over 50 journals, and mentored 11 Ph.D. students. Whoever the memo’s author is, he has obviously read a fair amount about these topics. Graded fairly, his memo would get at least an A- in any masters’ level psychology course. It is consistent with the scientific state of the art on sex differences.

Terrible hack job that doesn't stand up to even basic scrutiny? He appears to disagree.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon