Reply to post:

No, Apple. A 4G Watch is a really bad idea

lazarus

I just can't get past smart watches been a gimmick. I love the idea of the technology but in practice it just turn out to be cumbersome and clunky. I bought a cheap smart watch (a dedicated fashion follower I am not so the looks were really of no consequence) and given its quality was about right for its price point I wasn't expecting greatness.

Did it tell the time? Yes.

Did it tell the time every time i lifted it to my face regardless what position I was in? not a chance.

Did it pass on any alerts that came up on my phone? Yes.

When my phone vibrated in my pocket did I look to the watch to see what was happening? No. The muscle memory of a decade of reaching for the phone kicked in and it was in my hand before I ever gave the watch a second though.

Fitness tracking... I like to cycle, It knew nothing of that.

3 days of wear and 3 nights of charging and it went back in its box and the 10 year old casio telememo with its analogue hands and little digital display was back. It never needed a battery charge, told the time all the time, took and absolute battering for over a decade and had all the features of a moderate digital watch and all for 20 quid. I retired it last year when the case got to the point that I couldn't repair it enough for the strap to be secure (though it still functions perfectly). Want to guess what I replaced it with.......

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon