Reply to post: Re: Public posting of information for vulnerabilities has been agued over for many years

WannaCry-killer Marcus Hutchins denies Feds' malware claims

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Public posting of information for vulnerabilities has been agued over for many years

I am British but I really don't see that we should be criticising the the US too heavily over this issue, certainly not until all the facts are properly known. I admit I do see many things wrong with the US. I hope that some day gun use is less wide spread and Americans shoot each other less. But there are many things wrong with the UK and Europe too. So lets focus on the facts of the case, not the Americans.

Ordinarily I would have agreed with you, but you must admit that their timing sucks. Every attendee of DEFCON, especially anyone who presents there is in theory at risk of being at a minimum harassed by law enforcement hoping to score a few easy (i.e lazy) wins and that has been for a few years now. If they really wanted to collar this guy, why not straight at the airport? How did he even get a visa given the "risk" (assuming he was involved in crime) that they would lose him straight after coming in at the airport? Why not warn the UK authorities and get him arrested locally?

I am very wary about all this damn political advertising that police forces now have to do - the sheer need for public wins is IMHO a risk to skewing law enforcement priorities.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon