Reply to post: I get the feeling Rich Turner's intentions are good on this. Microsoft's? not so sure.

Windows Subsystem for Linux to debut in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I get the feeling Rich Turner's intentions are good on this. Microsoft's? not so sure.

Worth a watch is the Windows Weekly episode 514 Bash on Windows.

https://twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly/episodes/514

I'm absolutely not a Microsoftie one bit. Make up your own mind regards Rich Turner, but he comes across as someone enthusiastic, doing good at Microsoft (and I really don't say that often, regards Microsoft). Whether Myerson has the same intentions, is another matter regards Linux. Not a fan of the latter.

Is Microsoft endorsing Linux such a bad thing? The endorsement certainly gives it "worthy contender" credibility, as a credible rival to Windows, Microsoft are taking the threat seriously, because Linux "is" a real threat to Windows, especially the Windows as a (seamless) Service , which is proving anything but seamless. Windows Update is still a bloated clunky bag of nails, it's really no better under Windows 10. Updating Linux is much easier and more consistent. It rarely fails.

I like Turner, he seems genuine and I'm normally pretty good on people. Still it's so easy to host Windows as a VM on Linux, is there any point to this?

Problem too, Bash on Windows can easily be dropped, like Windows Phone, if it needs be.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020