Reply to post: Re: As I've said before ...

Linus Torvalds pens vintage 'f*cking' rant at kernel dev's 'utter BS'

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: As I've said before ...

Hmmm, well so far as I can tell all the chap has done is point out that, at the very most, there is some illogicality to the way faults are reported. He's not even written any code, this is old established code that could do with some improvement. Perhaps his only mistake was to assume that asking Torvalds for guidance would be worthwhile...

I'm wondering just how long Linux has got left as a cohesive, foundational project. RedHat / Pottering are trying to steal it. Google must be wondering why the hell they're bothering. Intel have had staff walk away from the project.

And then there's the more existential stuff; Rust as a language is really coming along, and the Redox OS written in Rust has made some stunning progress in a very short time. The whole idea of a kernel written in C is rapidly becoming anachronistic, not that many people realise it. Linux risks becoming a technological back water, though with a lot of momentum.

Other fundamental stuff needs changes. Everyone acknowledges that the network stack performance is below par, and it needs to be moved out of the kernel. That's a massive architectural change that's not happening because probably no one wants to raise the topic with Torvalds.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon