Reply to post: Re: NZ Model

Retailers would love an NBN backhaul tariff restructure

mathew42
FAIL

Re: NZ Model

> They are rolling out fttp vs our MTM

Changing technology won't magically cause 80% to connect at 100Mbps. I've clearly explained and the provided the numbers support the fact that slow speeds on the NBN are caused by people's unwillingness to pay for faster speeds. A change in policy is required.

What I've asked you to do is provide some thoughts on why the take up rates are so different between the two countries. If 80% of the country were connecting to FTTP at 100Mbps then this would be a clear justification for the NBN needing to support that as a minimum speed.

> Lol so labor was only building a network that could only deliver 25Mbps

For the >80% willingly choosing 25Mbps or slower effectively the answer is that yes, the financial model Labor put in place for the NBN has resulted in a network delivering 25Mbps or slower.

> And again fttn doesn't not deliver a min 25Mbps it's on upto.

The relvant quote from the document is "may reach a PIR within that range only once during a 24 hour period." My undestanding of DSL technology is that performance does not tend to vary wildly over a 24 hour period. Do you have evidence that of VDSL sync speeds showing wide variation over the course of a day? If not then what you are spreading is FUD.

The reality is that RSP congestion and customers choosing slow speeds is having a signficantly bigger impact on internet speed than MTM.

> Telstra already had PAYING the could AFFORD but nbn fttn has been unable to supply the speed.

It is not RSPs paying it is residential customers paying for access.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021