Reply to post: Re: Contention ratios are poor guide to congestion

Retailers would love an NBN backhaul tariff restructure

mathew42
FAIL

Re: Contention ratios are poor guide to congestion

> Remove tier from fttp and you could get up to 40Gbps which the new capability.

This nicely demonstrates how your arguments are outside of the current reality. I show how a simple policy change could make FTTN faster thatn FTTP. You respond with an option which requires upgrading all GPONs in FTTP. The point of the FTTN / FTTP comparision is to show how the best technology can be hamstrung by poor policy choices.

> Btw the minimum isn't 25Mbps it's 25Mbps for 1 sec in a day with 5 drop outs.

Fibre fanboi FUD. If this was happening in the real world then you would see articles about it everywhere, instead we see that people are reporting speeds of 80Mbps and higher on FTTN. When > 80% are selecting speeds easily supported by FTTN you need to come up with an argument to convince the 80%.

You do realise that the FTTP speeds are peak information rate (PIR) and not guaranteed. 5/5Mbps of CIR costs $300/month in additional AVC charges. NBNCo must have had a reason to expect they could charge this.

> So now after debunking you claimed that unlimited and speed tier is the fault of congestion your now asking me on advice lol.

I'm asking you to stop behaving like a spoilt kid and think about how to fix the NBN. The books need to be balanced which means if CVC revenue is lowered then either cost savings need to be found or AVC revenue has to rise. You could argue that as a nation building project it should be subsidised by the government but when >80% would receive neglible benefit from the subsidy because their speed wouldn't increase then

If you had worked through the example I provided what you would have discovered is that for customers on 1Gbps speed tier would complete the download before the second customer starts, whereas when the 12Mbps speed limit is imposed, the 9th customer causes congestion because the first customer hasn't completed their download.

Unlimited quotes are the primary cause of congestion. Some people like to leave a TV on for background noise. Today that could mean a 4HD stream (~50Mbps). With current contention ratios it only requires a few customers doing this to cause congestion. Quotas on plans means that those people can choose to pay for a plan with sufficient quota or not use the streaming TV for background noise.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021