Reply to post: Good article ... but

5G is not just a radio: Welcome to the fibre-tastic new mobile world

Anonymous Coward
Alien

Good article ... but

I thought it was a good article but I do have a few comments that may be of interest to the telco geeks.

1) T-MANO in an implementation of OSM, based on HPE’s NFV Director, not a rival standard.

2) Open Source MANO is just as open source as Linux's ONAP. That ETSI has embraced open source (albeit just for this project) is revolutionary but it is real.

3) Verizon is not on the fence. They joined OSM in February and have said they have no plans to use ECOMP (and presumably ONAP).

4) OpenStack is not an alternative to ETSI MANO. It is an option for the Virtualised Infrastructure Manager component (alongside VMWare). OpenStack’s project Tacker is working on a generic VNF Manager and NFV Orchestrator but this isn’t the core OpenStack application and I don’t think it is ready for prime time just yet.

5) ETSI is not resisting a model-based approach. The Network Functions Virtualisation – White Paper #3 states NFV “requires a new set of management and orchestration functions and creates new dependencies between them, thus requiring interoperable standardised interfaces, common information models, and the mapping of such information models to data models.” Sounds pretty model-based to me.

If this sort of stuff interests you can check out my report: Next-Gen OSS for Hybrid Virtualized Networks

http://www.heavyreading.com/details.asp?sku_id=3471&skuitem_itemid=1702&promo_code=&aff_code=&next_url=%2Flist%2Easp%3Fpage_type%3Dall_reports

or get your fill of telco acronyms at www.lightreading.com

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon