Reply to post: Re: "The potential downside of not getting this right is very serious,"

Another Brexit cliff edge: UK.gov warned over data flows to EU

codejunky Silver badge

Re: "The potential downside of not getting this right is very serious,"

@AC

""No Deal" would add about £50-100 per month due to tariffs onto the average household expenditure"

That is if we keep the EU punitive tariffs against the world even though we wouldnt be in the cartel and it makes no economic sense to do that anyway. So we would actually have cheaper imported food even after the currency drop.

"to absolutely can't manage and finding themselves homeless"

That is a terrible thing I cannot believe gov have supported this long. Our energy policy to appease the EU ramped up energy bills as well as food which harms the poor more than anyone but it hits us all and hits our entire economy. It is being in the EU causing that problem though.

"Euro trading (worth £60bn per year in tax) will probably also end up going into the EU."

Unfortunately those protectionists (if you consider the EU as one entity- nationalists) have been trying to demand this for some time without brexit. They want an international reserve currency but want to clear it in the EU, which is impossible as NY and HK are needed to do it too so this is purely political finger rubbing on their part. Nothing we can do about their greed but the banks seem to be resisting going over there. Probably because France is hostile to bankers and the EU is not trustworthy.

"I really hope I'm wrong, but I can't see a way out of Brexit without losing 10-15% of GDP, 3-5 million full-time jobs (many may be replaced by zero hours contracts), and eventual blood on the streets."

Chin up, the news is depressing but it sells. Reality is more mundane and less threatening. I aint going to lie and tell you all is milk and honey but I can tell you that what you appear to have been told is pure polished turd

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon