Reply to post: Re: Form Gov.UK

Wi-Fi firm Purple sneaks 'community service' clause into its T&Cs

Vic

Re: Form Gov.UK

and if the complaint you are trying to bring is against someone who sticks their £300/hour barrister on you, who charges for anything over five mins (rounded up to the nearest hour, of course) including reading the complaint?

If you've got a legitimate complaint, you do it anyway. Anything else is just giving in to the bullies.

This happened to me when I took the Royal Mail to court. It was a trifling expense - but one I had incurred because of their uselessness. So I launched Small Claims proceedings. They sent me - Special Delivery - an *inch* of A4, covered in legalese and threats, including a breakdown of their costs, which they would endeavour to recover[1] from me should I persist.

I did persist. They sent me a cheque. The legalese was all bluster. That's how these organisations work; they expect you to fold as soon as they appear to bring out the heavy guns.

Vic.

[1] You *can* recover costs from Small Claims proceedings under certain circumstances, but it is far from guaranteed; I have only once been awarded costs, and the other side never actually paid them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon