Reply to post:

PC sales still slumping, but more slowly than feared

Anonymous Coward
Holmes

Around here, ignoring my two dozen machines, unless something outright dies, we aren't going to replace a machine. There's just no reason to even think about it. Windows 10 has nothing to do with it at all. The last two machines bought both had it and aside from frustration trying to find where things were relocated to by Microsoft (networking, printers, ...), it use the browser and Microsoft Office.

Now, in my patch of the woods here, you'll not find Windows except on the laptop and that's Windows 8.1U1. And God help you if you should even attempt to fly it as it's a NeXTStart desktop overlay on top. Spend hours figuring where I've got things. Aside from that, it's the tablet (Fusion5 10.6" that I absolutely adore on Android) and the rest can be anything under the Sun depending on what I've got going on in my torture chamber lab. [Currently I'm relocating the GPUPU's to a a dual Xeon.]

It's not a surprise that people have slowed down on replacing machines until they go to the great bit-bucket in the sky. Toss in what phones and tablets can do offloading some of what a desktop is useful for, and before I forget, our "Smart" TV's [entertainment centers], that's a drop in units shipped no matter what you can say about the market.

If'n the industry, especially Intel, AMD, NVidia, et al., want to shift more product, well they need to invent a new "Must Have" device class or significantly/radically demand much greater performance out of desktops. We're seeing something of that same shift in servers but not yet approaching significance. However, that market (servers) has seen radical changes in who delivers the hardware to the data-center builders, which kinda reminds me of the desktop market towards the end of growth, don't it? Desktops became just another commodity so who cares what label is one the front.

Cattle v. Pets. Now let me get back to my pet supercomputer. *Only* 2 TFLOP's;

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon