Reply to post: Re: "Internet e-mail is not a secure medium..."

Judge used personal email to send out details of sensitive case

ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: "Internet e-mail is not a secure medium..."

I think it's both a mixup and a shortcut.

- free webmail services are inherently insecure

- pretty much anyone with a reasonably big pipe and minimal tech gorm can harvest email content and / or draw a "connection map" (which is where the intel value lies).

But email content can be almost unbreakably secure (GPG / PGP for example). That's one of my pet peeves: "serious" institution adding disclaimers to every outgoing mail stating that there is no way to guarantee email integrity, so they won't take any responsibility if they send you misleading info -or even malware- by email. Yes, there are ways, you lying bastards, you're just too cheap to implement them (or worst, that's a preemptive get-out clause if they do send you nasties).

As for network masquerading, well, I won't rant on that again, but if you're serious about it there are easy and readily-available solutions. Which doesn't matter much: history proves that unencrypted channels are good enough for terrorists because the limiting factor here is not technological: the plods are so busy trawling the humongous databases for evidence that their girlfriend is cheating on them that they wont notice a terr'ist if he sticks a fist-sized piece of C4 in their ass. Blanket surveillance, as everything else, follows the rule: "too much data is worst than no data". TB/s is NOT a substitute for proper intel.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon