Reply to post:

It's time for a long, hard mass debate over sex robots, experts conclude

TRT Silver badge

They're not androids... they're replicants. Artificial lifeforms, yes, but one is technological, the other is biological. Then there's the half-way house, the cyborg - cybernetic organism. But is that organics first, technology after, or technology first, organics after? Terminator was capable of functioning with just a technological component, although not fully functional as one of its functions was infiltration / fooling humans, and that was called a cyborg. Though the root of the word cybernetic is the same as "steersman" and is used to denote the study of communication and control in both living an non-living systems - in modern usage, cybernetics is entirely technological with somewhat blurred boundaries at the cutting edge. Bionics is used to describe the use of technology to copy biological systems/

So, what do you call a thing that is organism first? Well cyborg is also used to describe restored or enhanced function of biological organisms.

Oh, I don't bloody know. Don't care what you call them, just make mine how I like them. And then make it modular, so I can change my mind.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon